Step 1: You need a physical application form
Applications must be written on an official application form, a "hard copy". This is because each form is individually numbered so it can be tracked.
These forms are normally obtained by an academic institution. However, for independent teachers, the form will need to be obtained from an 'Umbrella Body'.
We recommend using a company called DBS Services. They offer an efficient, professional and cost-effective service. Their number is 01924 283 236 if you want them to send you an application form. They are very helpful too. Mention bemore. if you are teaching under 18s, then you need the Enhanced DBS check.
Step 2: Complete the application form
DBS Services will send you a form by return post. Complete the form as per the instructions. Full information can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Service Website.
Step 3: Enclose copies of 3 relevant forms of ID
You are also required by the government to provide 3 forms of identification. Full details of the documentation requirements can be found here.
Example IDs Considered - You need 3:
- Current driving licence photocard - (full or provisional)
- Birth certificate - issued within 12 months of birth
- Marriage Certificate
- Biometric residence permit
- Adoption certificate
- HM Forces ID card
- Firearms licence
- Mortgage statement
- Bank or building society statement
- Bank or building society account opening confirmation letter
- Credit card statement
- Financial statement, for example pension or endowment
- P45 or P60 statement
- Council Tax statement
- Work permit or visa
- Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider
- Utility bill
- Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, for example from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC
- EU National ID card
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo
- Letter from head teacher or college principal
Include copies, not originals
One reason we recommend DBS Services is that they do not require the original documents from you. You can just enclose a legible photocopy of the documents. The ID details are then verified by DBS Services using a 3rd party.
Step 4: Pay DBS Services online
Step 5: Post the form and the ID Copies to DBS Services
Their address is:
16 Arden Court
Step 6: Wait
It normally takes 8 weeks for a DBS Certificate to be issued. So you have to be patient. You can check on the status of the application here.